Two ways to reuse your bath puff

My bath puff always comes loose after a few weeks and I just end up buying a new one. It seems such a waste. There must be ways to reuse or recycle the bath puff.

Used bath puff

I unravelled one that was destined for the bin. The centre cord that held it together just needed a little snip and the whole thing came loose very easily.

Bath puff pulled apart

There was nearly 2 metres of tube netting in that one puff! No wonder the bath puff doesn’t fray after washing. It’s a tube! Duh! It just comes loose and looks like a ball of mess.

Tube netting from bath puff

I’ve seen yarn sleeves made with a similar netting. They are sold as knitting/ crocheting accessories to hold centre-pull balls of yarn.

Photo from Ozquilts.com.au

I snipped a small section of the tube netting and stuck my pretty red yarn cake in it. Voila! One yarn sleeve!

Yarn sleeve

My only concern is that when the ball gets really small, the netting will be too loose for it. I think the netting can be cut lengthwise and the edges re-sewn (or crocheted) together to make a tighter tube if that happens.

Anyway, I still had a lot of netting left. So I cast on 6 stitches with the largest needles I own, which is a pair of 12mm needles, and began knitting in plain garter stitch.

Knitting up pot scrubber

I knitted till I ran out of netting and cast off.

Loose ends

I wove the ends in with my fingers and reattached the hanging cord. Ta-da! A “new” pot scrubber!

"New" pot scrubber

Now for the test. It’s a good thing I didn’t do the dishes last night. 😛

Pot scrubber in action

It aced the pot scrubbing test but how will it go getting machine washed? I threw the pot scrubber in the washing machine for a wash with some tea towels. It survived that too with just some of the ends coming loose. I just wove them back in with my fingers again.

So there you go! Two ways of reusing a bath puff – make a yarn sleeve and knit up a pot scrubber.

Yarn sleeve & pot scrubber

What do you think? More ideas welcome. 🙂

Update: Notice the little Stumble It! link below? If you like what you read here, I hope you will give me a Thumbs Up on StumbleUpon so that other crafters can find my patterns and tutorials. And oh, while you’re at it, why not subscribe to blog updates too? 😉 Thankyouverymuchly!

{ 54 comments }

54 Responses to “Two ways to reuse your bath puff”

1. Allyson says:

So smart! LOVE the idea of knitting it and making it a scrubber. So fun!
    .-= Allyson´s last blog ..FO: Edmund the Owl, for My Grandparents =-.

2. Tere says:

okay, all I can say is LOVE IT AND THAT IS AWESOME ! thanks for sharing!!
    .-= Tere´s last blog ..It’s My Candy! =-.

3. Cassandra says:

That’s a great way to recycle/reuse fishnet bath scrubbies Salihan. 😀
    I love recycling substitute yarns with knitting.

4. Pixi says:

I’ve been looking for a way to reuse these! Thanks for sharing your ideas 🙂
    .-= Pixi´s last blog ..Knitting Progress, Honey, and Haiti =-.

5. Linda says:

Oh very clever, never would have thought to do that.
    .-= Linda´s last blog ..Three More Lay Outs =-.

6. Holly says:

Very clever, recycle, recycle, recyle 🙂

7. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Salihan Laugesen, Sara Anderson. Sara Anderson said: RT @Salihan: New @Salihan Crafts: Two ways to reuse your bath puff http://goo.gl/fb/fdBO […]

8. Malissa says:

Awesome! Creative!! I love it too. Kinda makes me want to go and buy a bath puff.?!

9. amy says:

Very, very smart. Same thing happens with all my buffs and now I have a solution! thank you for sharing!
    .-= amy´s last blog ..I love you, almost Fall! =-.

10. How nifty….love it!! How very clever & creative!
    .-= Anita, a Knitting Junkie!´s last blog ..Hooked on Snowflakes! =-.

11. Julie says:

Wow, both of those are awesome ideas!! and I have a bath puff that is getting a little ratty….
    .-= Julie´s last blog ..Things I Like Today =-.

12. Kerin says:

Brilliant! I was just about to knit myself a new puff, and was conflicted about throwing the plastic one away – voila! That’s perfect! Thank you 🙂

13. MorganM says:

Ingenious! My husband was about to throw his scrubbie out. Looks like he won’t need to 🙂

14. Rowan says:

he he 🙂 genius!
    .-= Rowan´s last blog ..Mac Apple – or is it apple mac? =-.

15. Carol Juniper says:

How about a gardening use. You could use the tubes to store onions or large bulbs – just tie a knot between each one and hang them up or how about using sections of tubes filled with peanuts for feeding the birds.

16. Kerri says:

So clever! I’m anxious to try this now!
    .-= Kerri´s last blog ..Looks just like the sun =-.

17. What an idea! It’s perfect!
    As it is I happen to have an unraveled bath puff that I have a hard time tying back into shape. Now I know what to do!
    Thanks!
    .-= Melisa Sriwulandari´s last blog ..Autumn Shawl =-.

18. Peggy says:

You are an absolute genius(did I spell that right?)!! My only regret is that I just tossed two puffs yesterday!

19. Kathleen says:

That’s amazing! I’ve wondered what to do with our used ones too. Thanks for the tip.

20. Barbara says:

You’re just the brightest star!! Very ingenious or you. Now I’m gonna have to come up with a few uses of my own.
    .-= Barbara´s last blog ..Yarn =-.

21. Peggy says:

Oh, meant to say this before-what about using it as a produce bag? You might have to sew a couple pieces together to make it big enough. BTW, you impressed The Hubby enough that he asked when I was going to make a few of those “washing things”
    .-= Peggy´s last blog ..Comparision: Haiti and my comfort =-.

22. This is perfect! I JUST threw away my puff this morning! Looks like Im going to dish it out of my bathroom trash and wash it up to make a scrubbie!
    .-= LeeAnn Howard´s last blog ..Flash Back Friday =-.

23. Oh my! So awesome! Thanks!
    .-= Marcia Furman´s last blog ..memories =-.

24. Sheila says:

What a great idea! I love the idea of knitting them and using them for dish scrubbers! Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Sheila´s last blog ..Basic Black Baby Sling =-.

25. fethiye says:

I actually do not use these, but save the onion bags (same thing) and make an ever growing ball (just cover the old ball with the new one, and keep going) and use that ball to scrub potatoes etc. 😉

26. Renae says:

Wow, that’s a really clever idea!!
    I’ll bookmark it for when my scrubber dies!
    .-= Renae´s last blog ..Updates- playing with styles and memes =-.

27. You smart girl!!!! What a great idea!!!! I am giving you a thumb’s up on this!!!
    .-= Craft Passion´s last blog ..Locker Hook Tutorial: Finishing Touch =-.

28. Ellen says:

So clever. I love that you used the original strap from the puff on your scrubber.

29. JoAnn says:

What clever ideas. Thank you for sharing these. They will definitely be put to use. Can’t wait for my puff to unravel, but feeling bad about the one I threw out last time.

30. Laura says:

Great ideas! I don’t knit, but could totally crochet a kitchen scrubby. I used to have a bath “cucumber” with a drawstring that held bits of soap that were too small to use anymore, I think I’ll try to make one of those too. BTW the last scrubby I purchased said it was recyclable, just remove the rope hanger and put it with the other plastic recycling.

• Salihan says:

Thanks Laura! I wanted to crochet one too but I didn’t have a hook large enough. Let me know how it goes. A circular crocheted scrubbie would be great I think. I’ll also have to look for the recyclable scrubbies in the future. Thanks for the heads up and happy crocheting!

Powered by Wordpress | Designed by Elegant Themes